Mobile Website

Author Topic: Proposal to extend Slow No Wake to entire Fox River in Oshkosh‏  (Read 2162 times)

Offline WiParty Brian

• Administrator
  • Squatch
    • View Profile
    • Wiparty.com - A boating and entertainment site
Proposal to extend Slow No Wake to entire Fox River in Oshkosh‏
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »
Here is some info from the BoatingWinnebago site - http://www.boatingwinnebago.com/news/proposal-to-extend-slow-no-wake-to-entire-fox-river-in-oshkosh/

Please help spread the word!!!!    :o
Are we having fun yet?

Offline WiParty Brian

• Administrator
  • Squatch
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal to extend Slow No Wake to entire Fox River in Oshkosh‏
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Some recent research identified our best opportunity to counter the "No Wake Petition". If each of us (clubs and business) would write an email explaining the negative impact of the "No Wake" petition on our activities, the City Council would have appropriate documentation to deny the petition viability.

Please email:

Mark Rohloff
citymgr@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

Jeff Hager
Are we having fun yet?

Offline WiParty Brian

• Administrator
  • Squatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Here is a copy of the email I sent to Mark:
To:
Mark Rohloff

Good morning Mark,
My name is Tim Doberstein and I am the owner of Spellman’s Marina in Oshkosh.
I am writing to you today about my concerns regarding making the Fox river between lake Winnebago and
Lake Butte Des Morts a no wake zone.
The impact on my business would be huge.  I would estimate that we would lose approximately half our gas sales.  If this were to occur I would have to
Just stop selling gas all together, as insurance for pollution etc. is very expensive.  Gas sales plays an important part in our organization.  People come to buy gas, see that we
sell boats, also have service and storage.  If people do not travel down the river because it takes too long, we would lose a huge amount of our business just due to the lack of boat traffic.
It takes it all(sales, repairs, storage and gas sales) for me to make it in today’s economy.
Hope this email helps, and that the board doesn’t consider making the river no wake.
The impact the no wake zone would have on the economy of Oshkosh would be tremendous.
 We would not be considered a destination for boating any longer.
Thanks

Tim Doberstein
Spellmans Marina
1713 W. New York Ave.
Oshkosh WI  54901
920-231-1850 work
920-203-6400 cell
Are we having fun yet?

Offline WiParty Brian

• Administrator
  • Squatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
Good Afternoon,

After reading the proposal to extend the slow no wake to the entire Fox River in Oshkosh it immediately alarmed me.

As Oshkosh tries to increase it’s image as a “tourist friendly” city, it is continually stabbing itself in the foot. With myself being a large part of the boating community you can be assured that the majority of the boating community is passionately against this proposal.

The reality is you are finding less and less boaters encourage about going through the Fox River. With the train bridge continually closed and construction (as of know) going on less and less people are willing to go out of their way to navigate through the river. A good amount of the boats stay either on Winnebago or Lake Butte des Morts depending on where they are located.

Additionally, you can ask the businesses that depend on the river traffic for their business if revenue is up? Your answer would be explicitly no. Traffic over the past few years has decline and will continue if another road block such as this proposal is pushed forward.

Please consider what is best for this community. All it takes is a little common sense and education to make sure our water ways are safe.

Thank you

Todd

Todd Kempinger
Avid boater
Are we having fun yet?

Offline WiParty Brian

• Administrator
  • Squatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »
Subject: No Wake petition

Good afternoon.  I am emailing to inform you that the petitioner for the Slow No Wake zone from the Butte des Morts bridge to the mouth of Lake Winnebago has withdrawn his petition.  The Advisory Parks Board had unanimously recommended against the petition at their meeting on Monday, however, the petition was still going to be forwarded to the Common Council for consideration.  With the withdrawal of the petition, the item will no longer be considered at this time.

The petitioner did advise that he may submit a request in the future to consider a Slow No Wake zone from the Wisconsin Avenue bridge to the bridge on Oregon/Jackson Street.  Please help get this information distributed so those who recently showed an interest are informed of the decision.  Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Ray Maurer

Parks Director

City of Oshkosh

805 Witzel Avenue

Oshkosh, WI  54902
Are we having fun yet?

wiparty.com

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »
Mobile Website